Tips to remove moss from the roof surface
Moss tends to grow on the parts of the roof that are not well exposed to sunlight. The symptoms are the green spots on several areas which if left untreated, can spread to other parts of the house. It can not only weaken and damage the roof but also eat up years off the life of your roofing system. Do not wait longer to remove the moss from the roof. Longer you wait; more difficult it becomes to remove it.
You can clean the moss yourself by performing these steps:
- Cover all the plantations, bushes, landscaping, outdoor furniture and any other things that may be damaged during the cleaning process with a plastic sheet. Consider moving the things out of the way if possible.
- Use a long handle brush to scrub the roof. Make sure that the roof is dry and work from the top in order to avoid any damage to the shingles. Try to clear as much moss as possible using the scrubbing brush.
- Now mix equal portion of chlorine bleach and water in a large bucket. Dip the long handle brush in it and scrub the portions that still look mossy. Another alternative is to use a garden spray to spray the mixture all over the roof surface.
- Let the mixture stay on the surface for 30 minutes for best results. Note that the chlorine mixture should not e in any case left on the surface for more than 30 minutes because it can cause damage to the roof.
- Rinse the solution using a garden hose. Rinse thoroughly so that no traces of the mixture remain.
It is important to wear goggles and safety gloves while using chlorine bleach. Wearing proper rubber soled boots is a must to avoid slippage. It is always advisable to seek professional help in case you do not consider yourself well prepared for the job.
RoofMasters is a Chemical Roof and Pressure Cleaning business serving Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Roof Masters is the oldest Chem-Wash company in the Southeast. We are licensed and insured and have been in business since 1998. Call us at (561) 630-7826 for a free estimate.